Selection to the TSPA team is a unique honor, a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
The Transfer Student Peer Advisor (TSPA) program matches upperclass students with incoming transfer students. TSPAs serve as resources for incoming transfer students as they adjust to both the social and academic cultures of the University of Virginia.
Throughout the year, TSPAs are responsible for building community among transfer students as well as advocating for transfer student needs, in partnership with Orientation & New Student Programs and the Office of the Dean of Students. The TSPA position is a yearlong commitment.
Successful TSPAs have an appreciation for diverse experiences, identities, and backgrounds, and must be able to partner with people different than themselves. TSPAs are enthusiastic, approachable, willing to learn, and genuinely interested in advocating for transfer students. TSPAs must have a desire to support transfer students throughout the academic year and serve as a representative for transfer needs. TSPAs must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University.
Roles and Responsibilities
Orientation and Welcome Programs
- Serve as initial contact for newly admitted transfer students
- Communicate with and serve as a resource for newly admitted transfer students throughout the summer with regard to academics and social life
- Attend and assist with the implementation of Welcome Week transfer programming, including Fall Orientation (Sunday), Alumni Hall Welcome Breakfast (Monday), and the Transfer Student Garden Party (Wednesday). Details to follow and subject to change
- Plan and execute programming specifically for the transfer community
- Collaborate with on-Grounds residential communities where transfer students live to promote success in academic and social transition
- Serve as an advisor/resource for transfer students throughout the academic year through regular emails, calls and group activities
Advocacy and Outreach
- Connect advisees to relevant resources to promote their transition and success
- Encourage advisees to advocate for their personal needs (social, emotional, and academic)
- Engage in peer-to-peer touchpoints prior to and during their advisee’s first semester at UVA
|Application deadline||February 18, 2019, 4:00 p.m.|
|Individual interview notification||February 21, 2019|
|Individual interviews (by invitation)||February 26-28, 2019|
|Selection notification||March 7, 2019|
|Spring Training||March 22, April 5, April 19|
|August Arrival Meeting||August 24, 2019|
|Transfer Wahoo Welcome Programs||August 25-28, 2019|