Selection to the TSPA team is a unique honor, a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Transfer Student Peer Advisors (TSPAs) are a resource for incoming transfer students making the transition from their previous institution to the diverse academic, intellectual, and social culture of the University of Virginia. As TSPAs, students:
- serve as initial contacts for newly admitted students
- assist with the implementation of orientation and Wahoo Welcome programs
- provide general support for their group of advisees throughout the fall semester (and into the spring semester if possible) through regular emails, calls, and small group activities
TSPAs must be enthusiastic, approachable, knowledgeable about University resources, and genuinely interested in helping others. Able to work with students from a wide variety of backgrounds, TSPAs must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for new transfer students
- Provide general support to advisees by answering questions about social and academic aspects of University life
- Facilitate new students’ introduction to UVA by maintaining an open, helpful attitude and using effective communication techniques
- Promote interaction among new students during small group discussions, icebreakers, and planned programs sponsored by Orientation & New Student Programs
- Attend all training sessions (dates to be determined)
- Attend and actively participate in committee meetings and activities
- Write one postcard and at least three emails to each transfer student in your assigned group over the summer
- Respond to all student queries throughout the summer
- Answer questions via email from advisees following Transfer Student Orientation
- Attend all Wahoo Welcome events for transfer students
- Participate in and actively promote transfer events throughout the fall semester
- Maintain consistent contact with advisees throughout the fall semester and into the spring semester
- Attend TSPA meetings during fall semester (dates to be determined)
Before you apply, please thoroughly review the responsibilities above. By applying for a TSPA position, you agree that if selected you will attend all training sessions, actively participate in the program, and serve as a positive resource for new transfer students.
The 2017 TSPA application deadline was Monday, February 20.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.