UVA Orientation Leaders (OLs) are students who are well-respected, academically successful, and leaders in their community.
Each year, Orientation & New Student Programs selects a group of mature and dedicated undergraduate leaders to help implement orientation programs during the summer and fall. Orientation helps new students and their guests acclimate to the University of Virginia. The goals of orientation are:
- To introduce students to academic life at the University through course registration
- To connect new students to other students, faculty, and administrators, as well as to life at the University
- To familiarize students with Grounds
- To familiarize new students' guests with the University experience
Orientation Leader Application Information
Information on the application process and the selection timeline can be found below.
Also see our Orientation Leader Selection Process page for further details on the steps prospective OLs complete.
Orientation & New Student Programs will select a group of dedicated undergraduate leaders to assist with implementing orientation programs for the summer and fall. Each Orientation Leader serves as a resource for new students and their guests who are transitioning to the University of Virginia. Orientation Leaders possess knowledge about the University acquired through training and experience, and are skillful at sharing this information with orientation participants. Becoming an Orientation Leader is a unique honor and a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Good judicial/disciplinary standing with the University
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Orientation & New Student Programs
- A passion for sharing experiences and an eagerness to learn
- Interest in developing as a leader and a strong work ethic
- A positive attitude, consistent energy, and flexibility
- There is no cookie-cutter Orientation Leader! We aren’t looking for gold-star individuals, we’re building an all-star team!
Roles & Responsibilities
- Attend and participate in all spring training sessions
- Attend and participate in a two-week Orientation Leader training session before the start of the Orientation sessions in the summer, and be responsible for all information covered during this training
- Serve as a positive representative for the University to new students and their guests
- Answer questions about social and academic aspects of University life
- Facilitate new students’ introduction to the University by maintaining an open, helpful attitude, and by using effective communication
- Lead groups of new students during small group discussions, icebreakers, meals, and activities
- Facilitate small group interactions on various topics, including course enrollment and student life issues
- Explain academic advising and course enrollment procedures for all undergraduate schools, answering basic questions about requirements, course loads, and elective classes
- Supervise activities while living among new students attending Summer Orientation sessions
- Facilitate social activities for new students through direct involvement and participation
- Work closely with other Orientation Leaders and Orientation & New Student Programs staff to develop, prepare, implement, and evaluate orientation programs
- Provide administrative support for the program, including preparation of orientation materials
- Work with Orientation & New Student Programs staff to assist with and support all aspects of the orientation program, including Move-In Days and Wahoo Welcome
Terms & Conditions of Employment
Orientation Leaders must be full-time students for the 2018 fall semester, and they must remain in satisfactory academic and disciplinary standing during the 2019 spring semester.
Orientation Leaders must be present and on-time for all scheduled training sessions and work assignments. During the summer training period, Orientation Leaders have Saturdays and Sundays off. In addition, Orientation Leaders are expected to attend team meetings as designated by their Senior Orientation Leader.
Throughout the Summer Orientation period, Orientation Leaders are expected to work full days on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with the exception of Wednesday, July 3 though Friday, July 5, which are observed as holidays. Orientation Leaders are required to attend three Wednesday debriefing sessions (9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.) on July 10, 17, and 24. All other times are designated as time off.
Orientation Leaders will remain in residence in the facilities provided during training and Summer Orientation sessions. Specifically, Orientation Leaders must stay in their assigned residence halls on Sunday and Wednesday nights prior to each orientation session, and on Mondays and Thursdays during orientation sessions. Orientation Leaders are, however, encouraged to stay in the residence halls throughout their employment.
Orientation Leaders may not commit to any other compensatory or non-compensatory engagements that would interfere with their employment during the Orientation work period (June 12–August 2 and August 19–26). Orientation Leaders are allowed to enroll in Summer Session I only, as Orientation Leader work dates conflict with Summer Sessions II and III.
Compensation & Benefits
$2,000 stipend, subject to required payroll deductions
Housing in a single, air-conditioned room in the Alderman Road residence area during training and Summer Orientation sessions
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner during each orientation session, and breakfast for Wednesday debriefing meetings between sessions. All meals are provided during Orientation Leader Training.
Orientation Leader uniform shirts
Parking privileges at Scott Stadium during training and Summer Orientation
A summer pass for intramural-recreation privileges
|OL Information Session: Newcomb Commonweath Room||November 28, 2018, 7:00-8:00 p.m.|
|OL Information Session: Newcomb Commonwealth Room||November 29, 2018, 7:00-8:00 p.m.|
|OL Application available||December 3, 2018|
|OL Information session: Ern Commons||January 22, 2019, 7:00-8:00 p.m.|
|Application deadline||January 25, 4:00 p.m.|
|Reference deadline||January 28, 4:00 p.m.|
|Group interview notification||January 30|
|Group interviews||February 9|
|Individual interview notification||February 13|
|Individual interviews||February 18–22|
|Selection announcement||February 27|
|Acceptance deadline||March 18|
|Spring Orientation Leader Training #1||March 29|
|Spring Orientation Leader Training #2||April 12|
|Spring Orientation Leader Training #3||April 26|
|OLs move in to Alderman Road Housing||June 12|
|OL Training||June 13–28|
|Summer Orientation (Sessions A-J)||July 1–30|
|OLs move out of Summer Housing||July 31|
|OLs return for Session K||August 20|
|Session K||August 21–23|
|Wahoo Welcome||August 24–26|